September 7, 2014

Be Open: Pitch Perfect (2012)

Up until about 3 years ago, I was very frustrated with my career and spent a lot of time thinking about what would truly make me happy; professionally speaking. I knew I wasn't happy but I couldn't stop going after jobs in the same field, because I didn't know what else to apply for. Then, one day, my husband suggested that I try writing again because I had dabbled in it on several occasions in the past. I wasn't sure if it was the answer to my prayers, but I decided to give it a try anyway since he was certain it was something I was good at and enjoyed. I, on the other hand, wasn't so certain, but I decided to give it a try anyway. My first thought was to write fiction, so I set the goal to write my first novel and in six months I completed it. It was complete crap, looking back, but that's so not the point. The point is that I was open to trying something new and after a few years of trying different kinds of writing, I now know what kinds of writing that I enjoy. Being open brought me to my happiness.

Pitch Perfect is a great example of the theme: be open. From the beginning of the movie, Becca Mitchell (Anna Kendrick) is closed off and a little judgmental as she embarks on her first year of college. Her semi-estranged father gives her advice to embrace the experiences while living on campus and she scoffs off the idea, she also laughs off the idea of joining the all female Barden Bellas, an a cappella singing group on campus, well because she's just too cool for school, and she even laughs off a guy who's eye she catches in a "chance" meeting upon her arrival on campus. Unlike me, Becca always knew what she wanted to do....be a music producer/dj, but because her pathway to getting there wasn't full proof, she ultimately needed to be open to experiences on campus and with other people so that she could not only hone her skills, but also find her niche as well.

After reluctantly joining the Bellas, at the urging of Chloe Beal (Brittany Snow), as fate would have it, she also developed a romantic interest with Jesse Swanson (Skylar Astin), another member of an on campus a cappella singing group, the Bella's all male rival Treblemakers. Despite her initially denying her feelings and because she was open, she also found love.

Yes, all will not always be smooth sailing when attempting something new, as I found initially with fiction writing. However, the point is to remain open to new things and experiences and you will find your bliss. In the movie, when Becca tried to alter the arrangement of the Bella's performance by infusing a new song, sure she got the crowd to wake up as their original planned set was causing the audience to fall asleep, but she received backlash from the other members of the group. Of course, she didn't respond to criticism all that well, but without her ever taking that chance of altering the arrangement, the group wold have never realized that they needed to update their style and choice of songs if they ever stood a real chance of going to and winning an a cappella championship and Becca would have never learned that she needed to work on her issues with interpersonal relationships in addition to learning to venture out and taking risks.

By the end of the movie, Becca was truly happy. Specifically, she had a budding singing career as a championship winning Barden Bellas with new and diverse friends, but she also had a new boyfriend....and it was all due to her being open to both of those new experiences.

2 comments:

  1. as someone who hated musicals I thought Pitch Perfect was enjoyable and being open is a real formula for experiencing life. it allows one to do and see things you would not have otherwise.

    ReplyDelete
  2. It's funny because I remember when I first saw the trailer for this movie and I thought it was going to be a lot different from what it was. I am so glad that I took the chance and rented it on Amazon Instant Video...it is definitely one of my favorites and an excellent mood changer if you're down in the dumps.

    ReplyDelete